Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Can I Really Do This? - Day 2


I’m a little terrified. Here it is day 2 and it’s hitting me that I have committed to this experiment - publicly. Which means there is no turning back.

Oh yes - I could turn back. Dump this whole idea here and now but that is not how I roll. As a rule I follow through on what I commit to. Yes, I’ve had my moments where that does not happen. When I’ve eaten the entire cheeseburger on the non-gluten free bun and every single french fry that came with it when I could have substituted for salad and when I promised myself that I was only eating greens and salmon all week. But anyone who knows me and knows me well knows I’m pretty disciplined. So I am not planning on reneging on my commitment to post for 29 more days. At least not yet :)

What I will do is acknowledge that this is not going to be easy. That this is a challenge. That I am going to have to let go of that thing writer’s get that makes us keep our stories under cover until they are exquisitely perfect.

Yes, I admit it. I am Joanne Tombrakos and I am a perfectionist.

Which on the one hand has proven to be a good thing in my life. Quality is something I value and what people have come to expect of me. But on the other hand it has often held me back. Kept me waiting for those rare moments when all the stars are aligned. Perfectly.

The truth is nothing will ever be perfectly perfect. Take yesterday when the newsletter announcement of this experiment included a misspelling of 'prolific' - after it went out and I couldn't change it!!  I cannot tell you how many times I reread that section!  I suppose my worries about being prolific left me unable to spell it correctly.

I'm going to let that blunder go and remind myself that if I could leave behind a twenty-five year career - I can certainly post thirty days worth of blogs.

hitting......... publish....... NOW.



note: This is Day #2 of a 30 Day Experiment. Here are the details on how it all started.

No comments: