Friday, January 14, 2011

A Different Kind Of Stress

There is no getting around stress.  The best of us, no matter how much we try and manage it are bound to have our days when it trips us up and leaves us immobilized.

My stress used to show. Dark circles would appear under my eyes, my forehead would remain in a crease for hours on end, a hacking cold, a stiffness in my shoulders that made it hard to turn my neck, the lack of glow to my complexion.

When I find myself in the company of people who know me from the world that was partner in creating that stress as I was the other night they think because I look happy and relaxed it is because I don't really "work" anymore.

I've written before how that is one of my pet peeves. I still work. In a non traditional environment.  Somedays I think harder and longer than I did then. And I still have stress. I stress when my books will be published, where my next coaching client referrals will come from, if anyone will read my blog, and  the vagueness of income that is not based on a bi-weekly paycheck. Oh and did I forget the stress of paying for health insurance?

Yet it doesn't show up the way it used to. People tell me I look great. They assume the  reason is because I no longer have stress.

But I'm here to tell you that's not true. I have stress.  It's just a different kind of stress. One borne from the passion of doing work I love and feeling intrinsically rewarded instead of fear that I might not ever get that chance.


Do you experience stress?
What is its source? 
Do you imagine if you left your current job your life would be miraculously stress free?
Is it more stressful to imagine taking a giant leap to a new adventure or staying safely put?


Post a Comment