Monday, August 23, 2010

The Rain Of Change

It feels strange. Rain. Two days in a row. What feels more bizarre is that I like it.

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike rain. I enjoy a good downpour every now and then, especially when the apartment is clean, the refrigerator is full of food and I have no place I have to be except at my iMac writing. But usually one day is enough and that one day was yesterday.

Rain can depress me. It can make me lazy and want to do nothing more than snuggle under the covers and watch a good movie. But this rain is doing neither. I was glad to see the overcast skies when I woke up.  I feel happy. And inspired to accomplish a lot of work today.

So I am thinking..what's up with that?


Is it because I can open the windows and feel a cool breeze  circulating without the AC?
Is it the fact that the city always looks a little cleaner and fresher, after a good downpour?
Is it because there has been so little this summer that it feels like an old friend I haven't seen for a while?

Or is it because it doesn't feel like summer rain? It feels like the fall. Could it be....and I hesitate to write this, because I know I will be reminded in the dead of winter when I am longing for warm summer days that I even suggested such a thing....., that I am ready for a change?

I can hear the workman outside setting up the stages for Fashion Week. That and the US Open Tennis signal the end of summer and Back to School in New York City. The season is about to switch.

And as much as a summer girl I am at heart, I am ready.  For new. For fresh. For possibility.

Too much sun and heat invites dry grass and the possibility of brush fire. Too much rain clogs drains, floods homes and blocks roadways. When things stay the same all the time it invites stagnation.

Change is good. Even when it means the summer is almost over.



What does rain do to you?
What is your signpost for the change of seasons?
Are you ready for a change?
What changes are you making?


If your change involves your work check out my coaching services page.

2 comments:

Lavanya Sunkara said...

Really liked the post. After a 4+ year stay in sunny california, I must say that I've become a true new yorker once again because I had almost the same feelings as you! A changing season means new hope, refreshing cool air and bright autumn leaves to play with...and not to mention apple picking, hiking and being back to school. :) Change sure feels good.

Colette Martin said...

Ahh yes, it rained here in upstate NY too! It's still raining. And it's supposed to rain until until Thursday. While I appreciate the cooler temperatures, I am a person who needs to see sunlight. That said, I really am looking forward to fall -- love to be able to open the doors and let the air in!