Sunday, April 19, 2009

Me and Hemingway

There is a great blurb in Sunday's New York Times that reports that people's confidence that they will retire comfortably has a hit a new low. Like Hemingway who was quoted as saying, "Retirement is the ugliest word in the language" I have always disliked the word retirement.



I hear retirement and I hear the end. For me it has implied sitting on a shelf gathering dust. When they retire a baseball player's number it is because it is never to be used again.


Doesn't sound like much fun to me. Which is good I feel that way. Given the state of my investments, if I did aspire to retire in the way we have defined it in our society, it would be somewhere around the age of ninety.


That's why I like the word reinvention. Reinvention implies new beginnings, creation, stimulation, a new path.



I'm with Hemingway. Retirement is an ugly word.

No comments: