Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Practice of Gratitude

I believe in the practice of gratitude. I believe if you don't make time to acknowledge what you have, you're never going to make room for all that you would like. Which is pretty contradictory to the Greek superstition I grew up with where you were encouraged not to acknowledge your good fortune. The folklore invoked a fear that if you did, you'd put the curse of the evil eye on it, and you'd be left with nothing.

That gives you an idea of why it took me so long, not to mention a lot of work, to get through my thick Greek head the importance of taking time on a daily basis to be grateful. I'm talking about getting specific. Finding ten gratefuls in your life and writing them down. Better yet, sharing them with someone else.

Some days it's easier than others. But I've learned that it's when the challenges are the greatest, and we have to really dig within to find them, that we surprise ourselves with what we come up with. I've also learned that the more we practice it, the easier it is to find what in our lives we have to be grateful for.

May Your Thanksgiving Be Stuffed With Gratitude! 

Please note that you, my readers are listed in the list below.

My Gratefuls: Thanksgiving 2012











To create your own word cloud visit Wordle. It's really easy and a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Diane B. at Coaching for Distinction said...

Thank you, Joanne, for sharing your attitude of gratitude. I join you in acknowledging what I'm most grateful for and letting go of what no longer serves me. For my gratitude cloud I will include the privilege of service to others. Warm wishes, Diane

Unknown said...

Like "the privilege of service to others" !
Thanks for reading!