Last week I realized a big dream. I became a best selling author! Me. Joanne Tombrakos. My 3-Day Free Kindle promotion had taken my book, It Takes An Egg Timer, A Guide to Creating the Time for Your Life, to the #1 position for best selling free Kindle books in the Time Management category. For three days only. Just like the sale.
It was a heady, free-floating few days spent glued to my computer, watching my Twitter feed, sharing Facebook and LinkedIn posts while emailing for help and assistance far and wide. For seventy-two hours I got to feel the experience of what it means to say I am a best selling author, that dream that every writer who has ever thought about writing dreams.
I became addicted to my Amazon reports, tracking the number of downloads by hour. Even more so, to my ranking. By mid-day of Day 1, my book moved into the #1 spot in the time management category and stayed there for the duration. It went to #2 in Business/Life and as high as #5 in overall Business. I'm not sure what to compare this to, but 1584 downloads in three days was something that I was pretty proud of. Especially considering how I had struggled with the possibility that no one would download it, even if I gave it away for free.
I made myself a best selling author by pushing out of my comfort zone. I agonized over this “free” thing for a long time. In the world that I come from of radio and television advertising sales, free is only given when attached to cold, hard cash. And while I never wrote the book just to make money, I am a for-profit entity. I had read all about how free promotions could be of benefit, but I had resisted.
I did it anyway. I jumped, knowing the worst thing that might happen was I would fail.
I’m not sure just yet what this all means in the long term for the sales of my book. I'll be back to you on that. But right now, this is what I know for sure:
- My book is in the hands of 1584 people who did not have it before.
- The Internet is an extremely powerful tool, that if used properly can make a big difference in a short period of time, even if you are an entrepreneur working out of your house.
- Every step of your journey thus far can help you moving forward. I applied my sales background and advertising expertise to the new tools of social media.
- People are basically good and so very generous in helping and sharing , if you just stretch enough to ask.
- People are kind, and will take the time, unsolicited to drop you an email and tell you they read the book and loved the message and then spread it among their tribes.
- We live in a global world. Because of this promotion my book now has its first 5-star Review on Amazon UK!!
- Networking today happens on-line and off-line. I picked up a lot of new followers on my social nets and made many new connections over the course of three days.
- On-line connections can meet off-line. On the last day of the promotion I attended the S.H.E. Summit at 82 Mercer. A woman waved at me with a big smile as if we were long lost friends as she announced, “I know you! I just read your book!”
- Dreams can come true, not necessarily exactly as you imagined, but true nevertheless if you are just willing to leap out of your comfort zone and experiment.
I made myself a best selling author. I didn’t wait. I figured out a way to do it. For three days.
What will you do today that takes you out of your comfort zone?
What dream are you willing to make come true?